Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Kindness

As usual, today morning I went for running near the beach. Depending on my schedule I usually run 3.5Kms segment multiple times. While I was covering my second segment an old man riding a cycle carrying a transistor radio playing some carnatic music came along with me pedaling at the same speed as my run. He could have very well ignored and gone past me, but he rode along to encourage my mood and speed of running. I was enjoying the run and was also overwhelmed with his behavior. After completing my second segment I thanked the old man for accompaning me and I saw his face brightened with smile and happiness. I thought he made my day and hope he would have also felt the same. While continuing my run, during my fourth segment I heard someone calling from behind “Hello…Hello..”. When I slowed down and turned back I saw a boy came running towards me. He said “Do you mind if I join you”. I replied back saying “with pleasure, please..”. I introduced myself and asked his whereabouts. He is a schoolboy from Santhome High School in Chennai and has been practicing to compete in state level athletic events along with his friends. When I told him that I am going to participate in Chennai marathon, he started giving me tips to improve my performance. Wow..whats happening today, I have come across two strangers with huge age differences, one being very old and other a school kid, both being kind enough to accompany me.. That’s really great. After running for hour and a half, I went to quench my thirst by drinking tender coconut. I paid 10Rs to the shopkeeper and he thanked me for paying. Man.. am I dreaming?? Why is everyone behaving so differently today? Is something wrong with everyone?

In this part of the world where the medicine for anger used to be “kindness”, the word “kindness” is slowly losing its charm from most of the human brains. It’s becoming difficult to notice people being gracious and courteous to strangers who are in need of something. People are becoming so mean in satisfying their endless needs and justify their deeds ignoring the feelings of others. The happiness and feeling we get in making others feel happy is something which cannot be measured in human terms. On the other side there are few people in this world spreading their kindness to others by all means feasible to them. There are many books published on kindness and dedicated websites too. One of the website I came across is www.actsofkindness.org . Kindness doesn’t have to be a helping hand for handicapped person, just saying “Hi” to a stranger will do wonders.

"I've found what's truly sacred in life's small things...Hopefully, the world can be changed through acts of kindness, acts of affection and love--the idea of doing normal, everyday things that actually have an effect down the line...Be kind. Because the opposite works as well. You can send your hatred to the future. And we all know the end result."
Author: Sting

No comments: