Thursday, August 30, 2007

Push, Push....

Push, Push, Push…is what I tell to myself while running long distances. Legs move pretty freely for 22-23k, but from there on it’s purely a mind game for me. While running, apart from concentrating on my breathing, I also have to consciously make an effort on stopping pessimistic feelings creeping into my mind along with lot of self talking. Controlling my thoughts when my legs are tired and weak is a tough job. When I am exhausted and feel like stopping I try to think about people like Carol (a normal person who started training for triathlon at the age of 40 and went ahead by participating in competitions) and fellow runners from my running group who push themselves hard to keep myself going. But one thing is guaranteed, during long runs I get ample time to think about everything and anything. All my pain would vanish when my mind wins against the body and when I achieve the target I have set to myself.

I am planning to do 30k runs over next three weekends and a 36k on fourth weekend (which also means waking up at 3:15AM on Sundays). If I manage to complete the 4th week run then it won’t be a great task for me to finish the Singapore marathon. I also have 3 months time to increase my fitness level too. Ahhhh, this month I am shelling out some money and joining a good gym which has got 7-8 treadmills and spacious enough for circuit training. Wanted to try out a 30 day schedule shared by a running partner Shumit. Nowadays I think more about running than anything else, at least 5 to 6 hours in a day. Hope it doesn’t become an addiction like depicted in this article to me.

No comments: